Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Decorating Tuesday. . .

This is my favorite chair.

I'm not sure it has ever been sat in but its awfully nice to look at!

The chair is actually very special to me. It was a birthday gift from my mother and father in-law one year. Noah wasn't quite two years old yet and we were living pretty leanly. I found the chair in an antique shop. It had a white with gold 70's style paint finish with some gold upholstery . . . but I had a vision. I went to the fabric store and found some remnant yardage of white damask fabric and began the task alone of recovering and refinishing it. I remember clearly using paint thinner with a toothbrush to get the paint out of every nook and cranny. If you have ever done this you know just how fun it is! I then sewed the cushion cover (I use the word "sew" loosely) and tacked down the fabric on the frame. As a last step a glued trim down over the tacks until I got to the last 5 inches on one of the arms where I ran out.

And in true "Jenni" fashion, that is how it stayed for more than 6 years, with the unfinished arm.

That is until this past Spring when I had it reupholstered by a true professional with the German Grain Sack I found at Scott's Market in Atlanta as its back. I wanted a big contrast so I went with this darker linen for the rest and a contrasting welt. My upholster wasn't so sure about it at first but he loved it so much when it was done that he took pictures to show clients. That made me smile!

Pin It!

7 comments:

cinnibonbon said...

Wow--salivating!! LOL

luckygirlgifts said...

Isn't it wonderful when other people finally see the beauty of your visions.
The chair is fabulous.
Sit in it!!
lol
Cari B.

Gloria L. said...

It is a GREAT chair!

maryboys said...

wonderful...i esp love the part about leaving part of it undone for several years...that is very "me"! and so is the chair:)

mary

TracieClaiborne said...

Gorgeous. Only someone with a designer's eye could see the finished picture before it was done. You have great vision!

Samantha said...

it is simply marvelous!

LOLena said...

Your chair is really beautiful. Love the colors you chose. What a great visionary! LenaS